• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car has incorrect engine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndyJ

What is the name of your state? AZ
Car bought in CA

Hi,

A couple of months ago I bought a collector car from a private seller in CA and had it shipped to AZ. I had the car inspected before I bought and I am happy with the overall condition.

I had the seller sign an agreement that stated the car was 'matching numbers' and the engine of a specified original capacity. However, I have just found out that the engine number is incorrect, is of incorrect capacity, and from a different model - this alters the value of the vehicle substantially.

There is a number on the cylinder head of the engine which is correct, but the remainder of the engine is not original.

One reason I bought the car, was that three years ago the engine was rebuilt at considerable cost, and the seller faxed me all the receipts. I just called the shop that did the work and they remember the car and telling the owner the engine was not original.

Do I have any recourse? I think I would like an outcome where I keep the car, but agree a lower price on it.

Thanks,
AndyJ.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">