• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car lease/death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rgmdam

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My father-in-law died recently after signing a car lease two weeks earlier. My wife is executor of the estate which, otherwise, has a value under $4000.

She would like to simply return the car and terminate the lease. There are NO co-signers and no lease insurance.

The lease company tried to tell her she would be responsible for the car. This does not sound right. Could you let me know what her options are.

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rgmdam said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My father-in-law died recently after signing a car lease two weeks earlier. My wife is executor of the estate which, otherwise, has a value under $4000.

She would like to simply return the car and terminate the lease. There are NO co-signers and no lease insurance.

The lease company tried to tell her she would be responsible for the car. This does not sound right. Could you let me know what her options are.

Thanks.

My response:

Since MN is a "Separate Property" State, I don't see the logic of the leasing company telling Mom that she would be liable for the lease. Ask them for their "Legal" reasoning; e.g., Statutes and/or Case law on this point.

As far as I would be able to say, only Dad's Estate is liable for the lease; and, since his Estate is only worth $4,000.00, it would appear that the leasing company is going to be squeezing turnips.

IAAL

kanut

sorry to butt in, i just went thru a death and a leased vehicle, yes the estate is responsible, but on the back of the lease agreement, the tiny, tiny, tiny print states that death is one of the reasons that a lease can be terminated, death certificate has to be sent and vehicle to be taken back, this estate that i am over could afford to pay the vehicle off, but we did not have to, the leasing company will hound, hound and hound someone to take responsibility for the remaining of the lease, it has been a little over three years, truck is back, they have sold the truck, and they finally gave up, so dont let them scare you all in doing anything

just thought i would let you know what i went thru, good luck, hope everything goes well, i know it is hard

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

kanut said:
sorry to butt in, i just went thru a death and a leased vehicle, yes the estate is responsible, but on the back of the lease agreement, the tiny, tiny, tiny print states that death is one of the reasons that a lease can be terminated, death certificate has to be sent and vehicle to be taken back, this estate that i am over could afford to pay the vehicle off, but we did not have to, the leasing company will hound, hound and hound someone to take responsibility for the remaining of the lease, it has been a little over three years, truck is back, they have sold the truck, and they finally gave up, so dont let them scare you all in doing anything

just thought i would let you know what i went thru, good luck, hope everything goes well, i know it is hard
Wow, that's amazing. If you don't mind me asking, just how is it you are able to read the fine print on the back of her dead FIL's lease agreement through your internet connection? If you wouldn't mind teaching me, I can make us both filthy rich!

kanut

Lease Agreement

I Guess I Did Not Explain Myself, On The Lease Agreement That I Had To Deal With This Is What It Stated. However, Dont Think Lease Agreements For Vehicles Is That Much Different In The Different States.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">