• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hfundraiser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I sold a car with lien. Buyer had car registered in a relatives name, not his. He is not paying, avoiding phone calls, lied to relative and told her that it was all taken care of.
Can I take the person listed on the title to small claims court? The buyer is getting a divorce and has no address according to the relative.
I need addresses for papers to be served.
I am owed $850.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

I sold a car with lien. Buyer had car registered in a relatives name, not his. He is not paying, avoiding phone calls, lied to relative and told her that it was all taken care of.
Can I take the person listed on the title to small claims court? The buyer is getting a divorce and has no address according to the relative.
I need addresses for papers to be served.
I am owed $850.
Exercise your lien rights and have the vehicle seized.

JETX

I have a suspicion that the OP is not the lienholder;)
You might be right. I took her claim that "I sold a car with lien" to suggest that she placed her lien on the vehicle when sold since she 'carried the note'.

So, to the OP... if the vehicle did not have a clear title (no lienholder) when you sold it... YOU are still responsible for payments to YOUR lienholder and had no legal right to sell the vehicle.
You really REALLY need to talk with a local attorney who could figure out what your standing is, if any, and what liability you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">