• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car loan cancellation due to dealership paid sales tax to wrong state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nathan39564

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Hello, I purchased and financed a car in July of 2016 in Ohio while I was living in Indiana. Shortly after the purchase I have to move to Louisiana due to my father getting a heart transplant and to help my mother. We never received our plates from the Indiana DMV so, nearing the end of the temporary tag on the car I called the dealerships titling department and they couldn't figure out how to get the sales tax back from Indiana and pay Louisiana the sales tax so at this point I had no way to register the vehicle. Within 60 days the creditor resended the loan. About three weeks ago I got a call from the dealership (almost 6 months after the purchase date) wanting the car back. I asked if there was any type of resolve and they said no they wanted the car back. Their asset recovery agent called a few days ago and made threats to have my wife and I arrested for theft of the vehicle. They are now bringing our full deposit back and wanting the car picked up leaving us now with a lower credit score having to scramble to find an alternative solution for transportation and try and get financing with a lower credit score. Yes we drive the car with an expired temporary plate simply because we had no choice. Is there anything I can do here? I filed a police report yesterday for receiving threats, intimidation and harassment. Not sure what to do. The financier said they resended the loan because the vehicle couldn't get titled. The dealership said it was our fault for leaving the state. Are people expected to stay put while waiting for their plates to come in the mail? What happens to military personnel who get deployed or career relocations or in our case a family emergency? Thank you for your help. This situation it super stressful!!!

justalayman

I'm not sure what you expect. Apparently the dealership cannot get the title to the car and are willing to rescind the sale.

I have no idea why your credit score would take a hit. Apparently the lender just unwound the loan but based on your info, due to no fault of yours. That shouldn't lower your credit score.

If the dealer is giving back your entire deposit and picking up the car I just don't see what is your complaint. They will have put you where you were before making the deal. If the dealership cannot get the title, there reallly is nothing the dealership can do here to complete the deal.

Btw; there is no reason you would pay LA sales tax. You were an Indiana resident when the car was purchased so Indiana is due the sales tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">