• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Registrations Amuk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkiax

Car Registration Questions

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

I had no idea where to post this? :confused: Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I had a truck. My sister needed some help, and I was purchasing a new car anyway, so I agreed to sell it to her for $700.00. (Value was about 2 grand) She said she would pay for it when her income tax came in. I told her that was fine, and to just transfer the registration into her name because I had just renewed it about a month ago.

Meanwhile, I registered my new car (could not transfer registration, truck was commercial) dropped the truck fom my insurance and assumed all was well.

It's not. She totaled the truck and never registered or insured it. She also lied about having a valid license. I know I'm going to get sued because like an IDIOT I let her drive off with my plates. Today I was cleaning out her 'soup can', (little red crap box she had that is on my property) and discovered that car is actually registered to one of her friends. She knew she didn't have a license and lied to me about it. I specifically asked her if she had a license because she totaled her car and somehow weasled her way out of a DWI about a year ago.

I'm wondering, do any of the details matter, or is the bottom line that this car was still registered to me?

This car is sitting on my property, registered to some imbecile. Can I sell it or charge a storage fee or something?

Any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

BL

Do you know this imbecile's name and address ?

How did the vehicle end up back on your premises ?

Oh , was the title transfered ?

If so ,to whom ?

nikkiax

Do you know this imbecile's name and address ?

How did the vehicle end up back on your premises ?

Oh , was the title transfered ?

If so ,to whom ?
1. Yes, I do. It is listed on the registration.

2. This is the car my sisiter was driving. She left it here when she took the truck.

3. No, there is no title. Truck is a 1998, so she just needed to go to the DMV with the registration and transfer it.

Also, insurance company just called. She really gave them my insurance card (Insurance was cancelled and she knew this) I have questions, should I start a new thread in a different forum or can I add to this one?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">