• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Rental Billing Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdecker86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I have been renting a vehicle from Avis in El Paso, TX since January (I am temporarily assigned to Fort Bliss while I am in a Army school until September 18th). It has been the same vehicle since January as well. Avis' rental policy is that it can be extended up to 30 days, and once it hits 30 days a new rental agreement needs to be made.

I used a USAA military discount to drastically reduce the rental cost, which has been $168/week. July 29th I had to come into the location to sign for a new rental agreement with the same vehicle (in the past a new agreement was made via phone conversation), and I asked the attendant if the same rate and discount would be applied to this, which she responded "Yes, everything will stay the same."

Tuesday I turned in the vehicle and had the rental contract closed out, which had the wrong rate on, at $494/week. I disputed the charges, but the El Paso Avis location and the district manager are refusing to adjust the charges.

What options do I have to recover the overcharge they placed?

ecmst12

You signed a contract without the numbers printed on it? Not too smart.

Have you tried calling USAA (since it's their discount program)?

Tayla

The rate wasn't listed and wasn't shown when I signed the new agreement.
:eek:

The poster actually answered his own concern.

No rate No mileage fee charges? Waivers Initialed? Current mileage.
Those are important for any rental business to have filled in to support the final billing charges....

jdecker86

:eek:

The poster actually answered his own concern.

No rate No mileage fee charges? Waivers Initialed? Current mileage.
Those are important for any rental business to have filled in to support the final billing charges....
They had the mileage and waivers of insurance on the agreement, but since it was a extension of a vehicle put on a new agreement, there wasn't any rates explained.

In the past, when I met the 30 days allowed to extend a rental on the existing contract, all I did was call them and they set up a new agreement with the same discounts, and all this was done over the phone without me coming in for a signature, and there was never a rate change.

Regarding USAA, no I haven't contacted them. What would I ask them? They offer the discount, but I don't see how contacting them would remedy the situation between myself and Avis.

ecmst12

You've never had an insurance claim or any other issue with USAA have you. They bend over backwards for their customers. I'm sure they would be GLAD to speak to Avis on your behalf and get the problem corrected.

jdecker86

You've never had an insurance claim or any other issue with USAA have you. They bend over backwards for their customers. I'm sure they would be GLAD to speak to Avis on your behalf and get the problem corrected.
I never had, and thanks for the tip. I've contacted the Avis District Manager and left a message, and have yet to hear from him, although I called him right after the customer service rep told me she just got done talking to him about the situation.

I've contacted BBB to investigate this issue as well, but I'll definitely contact USAA. Thanks again for the tip

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">