• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car rental contract - WAAAY overcharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beta09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi,

I am a foreign national currently in Texas. I recently rented a car from a company for three days and they set up a bill for $381.12. I got a message from my bank (not in the USA) saying that I was charged $5581.12. Yes. FIVE THOUSAND and five hundred dollars and eighty one dollars for a three day rental. I've been asking my bank to cancel the transaction but of course the charge went through.

I've been constantly communicating with the rental firm but they've been dodging the issue and keep saying that they've 'returned' the charge. Upon hearing this I contacted my bank again and they said that no such money was returned. They believe that the rental firm's bank may be holding the money and waiting for the rental firm's confirmation that the money is to be returned. I've been at them over the phone for a week now and nothing has happened. I realise it's the holidays, but I've had a similar experience resolved a lot quicker during a similar holiday period.

I have no further idea what to do. Seeing as the charge has been made and the money taken, the only people that can do anything is the rental company. But they seem like a group of morons that don't know how to handle the return of an overcharge on a credit card.

Is this worth taking to a small claims court?

I will be returning home in a week.

Thanks.

justalayman

if this is a credit card payment, you call the credit card company and dispute the charge as being false. They will reverse the charges, at least during the dispute period.

You will not get this into any court within a week.

if this is a credit card, where was money taken from? With credit cards, you get a bill from the credit card issuing bank. They do not take money from anywhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">