• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repair Cost Reimbursement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spydrgrl

In California...

I took my car into the local Pep Boys to have my transmission filter changed because the indicator light turned on in the car. (I had taken my car into the same place previously for the same job due to the same symtoms and it was resolved correctly at the time). The job was done for $85.00 and two days later the light turned back on and the transmission would jerk into gear. I took it back and they gave me a song and dance about how it wasn't anything they did and they recommended putting in a synthetic oil and perhaps my transmission was going bad. I told them it didn't seem that was the case and I would seek a second opinion on that and return.

I then took the car into a specialized shop. They ran diagnostics on it and determined that there was too much transmission oil and the silicon used to seal the pan(gasket)? was bad. They recommended I have it redone and they would charge me for it or I could return it to Pep Boys and have them re-do it. Since it was under warranty, I took it back to Pep Boys. The specialty shop charged me $170.00 for the diagnostics and resetting of the lights.

At Pep Boys, the service staff referred me to the manager and I requested that the job be redone and a better grade of oil be used. I also expressed my disappointment in having to pay $170.00 for the diagnostics and felt that I should be compensated for it and my time. The manager agreed to re-do the job and requested that this time the job be verified by three sales technicians. It was and it was fine for a day. The light then turned back on the day after with the same jerky transmission symtom.

I took the car back to the specialized shop and after inspecting it they discovered the same problem of too much transmission oil and switches that weren't plugged back in correctly. At this point I didn't want to take it back to Pep Boys so I asked the shop to re-do the transmission job which cost me $60.

I haven't spoken to Pep Boys yet and would like some advise before I do. I'm disatisfied with the work and lost time due to this (what would seem trival) work. I understand Pep Boys will reimburse the work "they" did of $85.00. I feel I should also be compensated for the diagnostics ($170), the transmission job at the specialized shop ($60), and even my time off work. Is this something I need to go to small claims for? Would Pep Boys reimburse me for that?

Any advise before I go sticking my foot in my mouth would be appreciated. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">