• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repair Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codygirl35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I tried to get my 1998 Dodge Avenger fixed a month 1/2 ago. They charged $1081 and said 90 day warranty. They then said I would have to run a few tanks of gas out bc I brought in with full tank & it had been sitting a while. Every day it was something new wrong with the car and a coupl eof hundred $'s more. Last qote was $700..got there it was $1081...750 in labor + tax. Car was never fixed, it stalled every time you put the brake on, but still I tried new tank of gas..2 to be exact. Finally after 45 days, returned to mechanic bc still no improvement. They called first of this week saying needed sensor..$180. Next day, something completely different $280. I have not talked with them in a couple of days, but I feel as if they are looking/fixing, looking/fixing - knowing not what's wrong, but adding up the labor hours. Should all this be under warranty since it was not fixed it begin with? They said they would try to help a little on labor, but they can not promise anything. Being female, I really do not want to be taken advantage of, but I need a car to get back & forth to work. I'm riding with a friend now. As much as I paid, I could have put a down payment on a new or newer used car...please help if any advice.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I tried to get my 1998 Dodge Avenger fixed a month 1/2 ago. They charged $1081 and said 90 day warranty. They then said I would have to run a few tanks of gas out bc I brought in with full tank & it had been sitting a while. Every day it was something new wrong with the car and a coupl eof hundred $'s more. Last qote was $700..got there it was $1081...750 in labor + tax. Car was never fixed, it stalled every time you put the brake on, but still I tried new tank of gas..2 to be exact. Finally after 45 days, returned to mechanic bc still no improvement. They called first of this week saying needed sensor..$180. Next day, something completely different $280. I have not talked with them in a couple of days, but I feel as if they are looking/fixing, looking/fixing - knowing not what's wrong, but adding up the labor hours. Should all this be under warranty since it was not fixed it begin with? They said they would try to help a little on labor, but they can not promise anything. Being female, I really do not want to be taken advantage of, but I need a car to get back & forth to work. I'm riding with a friend now. As much as I paid, I could have put a down payment on a new or newer used car...please help if any advice.
said 90 day warranty
What did you get in writing on the 90 day warranty ?

codygirl35

90 day warranty

Gave receipt with all repairs first time around. Receipt states 90 day warr. on parts & labor, but car was not fixed completely at that time. They basically got the car running, but it stalled every time you stopped at red light. I then had to restart car after every redlight. They now say something different is wrong with the car and trying to charge me for a lot of labor again and more parts. Any advice??

BL

The 90 day parts and warranty are on the parts and labor they have already installed .

If they do not really have good electronic diagnosis tools or are not seasoned mechanics , they will start replacing parts that may be most problematic to the issue(s).

They then will keep replacing parts in hopes of fixing the issue .

If the vehicle is running ok except for stalling on braking , then it's not a gas issue .

To get a grip on what may be the most obvious problem part(s) go to BatAuto.com - Forums . Register , read the posting rules ( make model - engine type ,etc.) ,and post your problem and repair question under the correct heading. There are many knowledgeable mechanics that volunteer their time of there .

BTW , it can often take replacement of various sensors and parts .

It is better to take it to the manufactures dealer repair shop ,or one authorized by the manufacture and pay a slightly higher diagnosis fee . Then take it elsewhere for the repair(s) that charge less for parts and labor .
Most often their DX is right.
Get their opinion , then talk to the shop where your vehicle is at .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">