• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repair warranty not being honored. Details inside.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof3girlsinfl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I am just copying and pasting the complaint that I sent to the local news station. If I'm wrong or misunderstanding something, please let me know. Thanks.

Arctic Freeze repaired my alternator on 10/26/2011. The repair came with a 12,000/1 year warranty. Having just moved to Florida, I thought I had found my new mechanic. Since that time they have looked at my car for other issues and have done oil changes. On September 21st 2012 I left Florida for a vacation to North Carolina. There were a total of 5 adults and 3 children in two cars on this trip. My car broke down on the side of the highway on Sept 29th 2012 with all three children in it. The car lost all power functions and literally shut down while going 70 mph. I was told that it could be a bad alternator so we had it tested once we got the car to an auto parts store. All five adults saw the "fail" readout from the alternator tester once it was placed on the car. We replaced the alternator and continued home. I contacted Arctic Freeze on October 1st to let them know that the alternator had failed and to inquire about how they would make it right according to the warranty. Since that initial call I have been lied to, strung along and listened to false promises of how the owner was going to make this right.
The owner, Brett, originally told me that he couldn't do anything to help me because I bought a new alternator instead of bringing the car back to him. I explained that I had broken down in South Carolina and had no choice but to repair the car there. He had me return the original alternator to him for inspection. After looking at it, he then said that the most he could give me was $140 plus the old alternator so that I could return it to Autozone and receive the $35 core charge back. This wouldn't have even made me whole (because when the alternator went the battery had to be replaced too at an additional $120) but I told him that I would accept that and I greatly appreciated it. He said he would have it taken care of within a "few days". A week went by and, even though I was leaving messages with his employees and on his personal cell phone, I heard nothing from Brett. I talked to him on October 15th and he promised to "work on it" and he would get back to me by noon of that day. On October 18th, he called and said there was absolutely nothing he could do for me because I bought it at another store instead of returning the car to him for repair. I, again, explained that it was darn near impossible to do that due to the fact that I was on the side of the highway 500 miles from home with three children in the car. He said that it didn't matter and that there wasn't anything he could do about it now. I told him that he was forcing me to take steps that I didn't want to take. He responded with "Ok. Bye"

OHRoadwarrior

It appears he attempted to honor the warranty. It is not his fault you did not return the car to him for repair. Your contention that the alternator made the battery go bad is incorrect. Your failing to heed the warning lights that appeared on your dash caused collateral damage to the battery, as you completely discharged it, by continuing to drive the vehicle. You should have taken your car to a shop offering a national chain warranty, if you had planned on traveling with the vehicle. Remember this lesson, when you buy tires, if you buy from a local company, instead of a national one. Your road hazard will only apply if you take it to a shop covered by the warranty, not if you buy the same tire at another company.

Last edited:

momof3girlsinfl

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm not understanding a few things you said. Why do you think he attempted to honor the warranty? Was I supposed to have the car towed 500 miles to his garage? That would have been a HUGE expense that would likely have fallen on his shoulders, correct? I couldn't predict when it would happen.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It appears he attempted to honor the warranty. It is not his fault you did not return the car to him for repair. Your contention that the alternator made the battery go bad is incorrect. Your failing to heed the warning lights that appeared on your dash caused collateral damage to the battery, as you completely discharged it, by continuing to drive the vehicle. You should have taken your car to a shop offering a national chain warranty, if you had planned on traveling with the vehicle. Remember this lesson, when you buy tires, if you buy from a local company, instead of a national one. Your road hazard will only apply if you take it to a shop covered by the warranty, not if you buy the same tire at another company.
Additionally, most warranties would NOT cover it even if the failure of the alternator had damaged the battery (which, as you pointed out, it didn't.)

Zigner

Was I supposed to have the car towed 500 miles to his garage?
That would depend on the stated terms of the warranty. The answer is most likely yes.

That would have been a HUGE expense that would likely have fallen on his shoulders, correct?
Correct, if that's what the terms of the warranty state. You're the one who chose the shop to do the work...

momof3girlsinfl

What you said about the warning lights on the dash make sense. Thanks for pointing that out. I never would have thought to ask for the money for the battery anyway.

The warranty is just written on the receipt as "1 year/12,000 mile warranty on parts and labor." That is all it says. No fine print. Nothing on the back.

Zigner

What you said about the warning lights on the dash make sense. Thanks for pointing that out. I never would have thought to ask for the money for the battery anyway.

The warranty is just written on the receipt as "1 year/12,000 mile warranty on parts and labor." That is all it says. No fine print. Nothing on the back.
Then that means you need to take it to them for warranty service.

OHRoadwarrior

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm not understanding a few things you said. Why do you think he attempted to honor the warranty?
You said "The owner, Brett, originally told me that he couldn't do anything to help me because I bought a new alternator instead of bringing the car back to him". He did not ignore you.

Unfortunately, auto repair can be an expensive lesson for everyone. It is helpful to have someone experienced that can direct you to the best outcome for your situation. An example of this is an engine replacement I had done on my mothers car. (I can no longer do these for health reasons). I had it done by a highly accredited local shop because she will never take the car more tham 50 miles from where the warranty is honored. When I get the car eventually, it will be for a kid, who will do the same. Otherwise, I would have limited my selection of provider and installation warranty, to a national company.

It is not considered bad form to join an general or model specific car forum to ask questions. Most people never think of it.

momof3girlsinfl

#1 - How am I to know that I am supposed to take it to them to honor the warranty if it isn't on warranty?
#2 - What should I have done if I had known that? Please understand that I wasn't thinking about this warranty when it happened. I was thinking about getting my kids off the side of the highway.
#3 - I only asked him to refund the alternator not the labor and I returned the bad one to him (instead of returning it in SC to get the core charge back). I didn't even ask him for a specific amount-I asked what he could do to help make me whole. He had the one that he sold me in his hands. He still has it.

I appreciate your quick answers but I feel a bit of hostility from you in your answers. Maybe I am being oversensitive, who knows.

OHRoadwarrior

Nope, written text does that sometimes, no hostility here anyway.

1. You should verify the warranty you are getting as part of the decision to purchase.

2. Honestly, you did it. You solved the problem as quickly and cheaply as your knowledge allowed. I would be wrong if I were to be snarky and say I would not have killed the battery, because I know better. On the brighter side, car batteries are usually only good for 1 to 7 years, based on the warranty (honest, no pun intended). You really didn't lose much more by killing the battery. If you assume the average cost of your vacation, which I assume was to the OBX:D(yahhh OBX), the loss is marginal compared to the daily rate of the condo/house you rented.

3. You learned that he is not willing to go the extra mile to keep a return customer. Stop by and pick it up to get back your core charge. You have a new battery with a warranty good all over the country. You have a new understanding of how to approach car service and warranties. You now know how you get more in depth info about repairs free. To top it off and really make the loss worthwhile, I will give you 2 parting tidbits that will save you a fortune. First, front brake pads are easy to change and if you buy lifetime ones from an auto parts store, you can pay a local mechanic cheap to put them on and teach you how to do it. For an investment of about $50 in tools, you can always do it yourself. Rear brake pads rarely if ever need changed. usually about 120k is a good time. Second, don't just go to a tire store and buy tires. Research tires online (your tire size), to find the best one will work for your car, based on free reviews at tires sites. You can then go to individual national company sites and see if they offer that specific model tire. Many will not carry them in stock, but will order them and match a price you found online (plus shipping) or you can order them, at the stores site to store option and have them installed. By purchasing a high mileage tire this way, you can often half the overall cost per mile of your tires AND have a better tire. If you "prelook" for tires, they seem to rotate good rebate promos bi monthly.

Last edited:

Zigner

#1 - How am I to know that I am supposed to take it to them to honor the warranty if it isn't on warranty?
Ask?

#2 - What should I have done if I had known that? Please understand that I wasn't thinking about this warranty when it happened. I was thinking about getting my kids off the side of the highway.
That's related to the decision you made of WHERE to have the repair done.

#3 - I only asked him to refund the alternator not the labor and I returned the bad one to him (instead of returning it in SC to get the core charge back). I didn't even ask him for a specific amount-I asked what he could do to help make me whole. He had the one that he sold me in his hands. He still has it.
Ask him to send you a working alternator.

I appreciate your quick answers but I feel a bit of hostility from you in your answers. Maybe I am being oversensitive, who knows.
You are being oversensitive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">