• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

niece612

i live in pennsylvania. last august (2000) my car was reposessed. the outstanding balance of the loan was 9k. they auctioned the car for 2.5k. in january, 2001, they contacted me about settlement. i agreed to a settlement of 4k, and bi-weekly payments of $200 until it was paid off. i made these payments for 9 weeks, totalling $800, until i lost my job. my father co-signed my loan, and was injured, and also unemployed, and wasn't able to help me with the payments. I explained this to the loan company, but they weren't willing to work anything else out, and forwarded my account to a collection agency. The collection agency contacted me, asking for the balance in full, which i am unable to do. they then proceeded to tell me that they are going to put a lien on my father's mortgage(i own no property) and consequently be suing me for the balance owed.
it was my understanding that the only collateral on an auto loan is the car, so are they able to do the things they have threatened to do? can they put a lien on my father's house or our bank accounts like they claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">