• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Sale / Wreck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mist8kmkr

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Had my car up for sale $4000.

17-year-old girl came to purchase it, had $2000 in cash as down payment. Said she needed to purchase the car to be able to get to her new job.

She had a letter signed by her mother that the mother was paying me $2000 down, and would pay the other $2000 in one week.

I gave up Title of car to girl, explained that her mother would have to title it since she was under 18. However, I made the girl sign the Bill of Sale, which stated the price of the vehicle, and the remainder of the balance.($2000)

3 days goes by, the girl pays $1800 more in cash, with the remainder ($200) to be paid by the week's deadline.

The mother shows up at my door, explains that the $3800 was her money, but her daughter had stolen it and forged her name to the document, AND ALSO that her daughter was only 13 years old.

In the mean time, an unlicensed driver (under 16) wrecked the car.

Now the mother wants the $3800 back, and the car is impounded.

Am I obligated to give back the $3800 and retain ownership of the (wrecked) car?

M

mikkey5

I wouldnt........you have a wrecked car on your hands, let her get a lawyer and sue you....she wont becuase it will cost her more money.

She is responsible for the actions of her daughter.

So where was the car parked? was the car was at the mothers address? So... she knew it was there, and she knew somone would drive it someday.

Also since you are still the owner, you will be sued for the damages the 16 year old did...i hope you still had insurance on the car....

>> What i dont get is why you lazy poor southerners, just dont sell a car the RIGHT WAY.

The RIGHT WAY, is pay in FULL, then take the new owner right down to the Motor Vehicle dept, and transfer the tile in person, but then they also have to get insurance befor the transfer can take place..

>>>>>> simple and easy but you just possibly screwed yourself but good.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">