• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car seller with power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c325476

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am looking at buying a car and almost agreed to a deal with the seller. The car is owned by seller's father (who is over 90) and the seller has power of attorney. (I haven't seen it yet.) The seller was upfront about all this information. The seller is going to sign the title over to me with the power of attorney. The seller has checked with RMV in MA and they say its OK. I have offered to write the check in the name of the car owner, sellers Father, who has the car title

What things should I check to make sure that
1. Everything is legal and I wouldnt face any problems to register the vehicle in my name/get title transferred.
2. Will there be any issues down the line?
3. Anything else that I need to pay attention to?

Thanks in advance

racer72

1. Take the seller with you to the RMV during the title transfer.
2. Hard to say. Get and keep a copy of the POA just in case.
3. Have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase. That may prevent you from coming back to this site because there is a problem with the car.

c325476

1. Thanks, thats a good idea, I will ask the seller to accompany me
2. I was worried about inheritance claims from siblings etc. Giving the check in the owner's name should be a safeguard against these or at least so I hope.
3. carfax is done, mechanic check is planned for tomorrow. I will never buy a used car without my trusty mechanic giving an OK

Thanks

Mass_Shyster

3. Anything else that I need to pay attention to?
Be VERY careful filling out the back of the title. The Mass RMV doesn't allow corrections.

When my wife bought a car, the seller wrote the first letter of the seller's name in the box for buyer's name. She crossed out a single letter, and wrote in my wife's name.

The registry would not accept the title application. We were able to submit a notarized letter from the seller indicating that the car had been sold to my wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">