• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car title loans & repossession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MissE

What is the name of your state? Maryland

my mother in a desperate situation got a car title loan to help pay her mortgage (even longer story) my mother already paid them $2300 dollars and what she was told and what happened were two different scenarios. my mother was late with her october payment and explained it to them and everything was fine so they sent her a letter stating that she owed $1440 and it was due by november 16th, but they came and repossesed the car on novembr 9th. When she contacted them saturday morning they said she owed now $5500 plus $400 for the repo and $35. a day for the storage. my mother filed chapter 13 on tuesday and named the company as a creditor to be repaid back. everything I have read and what I was told that if a car was repossessed, under chapter 13 you're able to get the car back if it hasn't been sold at auction. this company isn't returning phone calls and my mother wants and needs her car returned.

what can I do? this company already has a multimillion dollar lawsuit against it reguarding truth in lending and there was a class action lawsuit against them. how do I go about getting her car back?

SHORTY LONG

Speak with your Mother's Attorney; and see if she can also be added to the Class Action.
You need to act on this, and yesterday might be to late; in other words, take action
immediately.

racer72

everything I have read and what I was told that if a car was repossessed, under chapter 13 you're able to get the car back if it hasn't been sold at auction.
Not true. She can get the car back if she catches up on her loan payments and pays the repossession fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">