• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title Not Notarized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krishna_vamsi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hi,

I am a Ohio resident and recently purchased a used car by paying a check.The seller signed the Title and gave it to me.I checked up with BMV ,and looks like the seller has to Notarize the Title before giving it to buyer.I have been trying to contact this seller and he is very adamant to Notarize the Title.He asked me to bring it to a bank and get it Notarized with out his presence.I want to take a legal action on this seller.Please advice me what legal actions i have.Appreciate your help.Thank you.

KV.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hi,

I am a Ohio resident and recently purchased a used car by paying a check.The seller signed the Title and gave it to me.I checked up with BMV ,and looks like the seller has to Notarize the Title before giving it to buyer.I have been trying to contact this seller and he is very adamant to Notarize the Title.He asked me to bring it to a bank and get it Notarized with out his presence.I want to take a legal action on this seller.Please advice me what legal actions i have.Appreciate your help.Thank you.

KV.
Have you actually tried transferring the car to your name?

krishna_vamsi

Actually i didn't visit the DMV sofar.I have to apply for the Title transfer and the registration.To apply for the Title transfer Ohio state needs the Title from the seller needs to be notarized.Any help for me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Walk on in to the DMV office and ask them if what you have is sufficient. Or don't...whatever floats your boat.

xylene

Go to the DMV.

Get paperwork started.

If the lack of notarization is a problem, then you will have PROOF it is a problem and can sue the guy, should he fail to notarize it!

krishna_vamsi

Hi guys,

I contacted Title Buearo and they said i have to contact Common Pleas Court for court order title.Mean while i contact the previous owner by phone and email.But there was no response.Is there any way i can take legal action against the previous owner who already cashed my check and behaving very irresponsibly to transfer the title?.I would like to have him pay the damages.It s big agony and time and money waste.Please advice.Thanks.

KV.

xylene

Hi guys,

I contacted Title Buearo and they said i have to contact Common Pleas Court for court order title.Mean while i contact the previous owner by phone and email.But there was no response.Is there any way i can take legal action against the previous owner who already cashed my check and behaving very irresponsibly to transfer the title?.I would like to have him pay the damages.It s big agony and time and money waste.Please advice.Thanks.

KV.
You need to get the court ordered title and then sue the seller in small claims for the 'big agony'

xylene

Thanks Xylene.What is the procedure to put that in a small claims court and how much for i can claim on agony?.
Consult with your local court on the procedure. It is a local matter.

You can sue for you actual economic damages. That would be your time, court costs, legal filings, suit costs and loss of use of the vehicle. You can't get punitive damages in small claims. You would have to sue, and your case's claim is way too small for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">