• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title not transfered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparker123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My husband sold a 69 firebird over a year ago. We do not have proof of this sale. The person he sold it to did not transfer the title. The car is now at a restoration shop and has had a Mechanics Lien placed against it. We received a letter from a law firm stating that someone other than us ordered work to be done in2008 and just left the car. They want us to pay the bill or sign over the car. I want to know how they can expect us to pay when we did not order the work.
We have had it suggested to us that we file for a duplicate title and pick up the car.
What should we do?

redhead73

Where is the problem? Just sign the title over to the shop. U already sold the car. It doesn't sound like they are expecting you to pay...that is unless you want the car returned to you. If you sign over the title then the shop/mechanic will now own the vehicle. You CANNOT apply for a duplicate title if he has a lien against the vehicle. So either sign it over or pay the bill and take the car back.

divona2000

...My husband sold a 69 firebird over a year ago...The person he sold it to did not transfer the title...pay the bill or sign over the car...We have had it suggested to us that we file for a duplicate title and pick up the car...
I can not sign over a title if I can not get a duplicate title.
redhead73, why wouldn't OP be able to get a duplicate title printed? It would just show OP and then the lien, correct?

sparker, has proof been provided that there is in fact already a lien? Call the DMV-Courthouse-Sec. of State (where ever this is handled in your area) and ask if you can indeed get a dup. title even if a lien has been placed.
(and I doubt the restoration shop is going to let you 'pick up the car' until that bill gets paid).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">