• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title/odometer discrepancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JADetamore

Car title/odometer discrepancy. Was I lied to?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I bought a car a year and a half ago and was told that the miles on the car were actual. I am trying to trade in the car right now, but the salesman I talked to pulled a Carfax and discovered that there was a discrepancy with the miles on the car. On 07/29/2008 the car was reported to have had 16093 miles, 12,001 miles on 08/11/2008, and then 18,712 miles on 08/14/2008. I bought the car a month later with 18501 miles.

I found the paperwork from when I bought the car, and it has two boxes to check if there are any issues with the odometer. Neither box is checked, implying actual miles.

Is there any action I can take to be compensated or walk away from the car? I haven't contacted the seller yet.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I bought a car a year and a half ago and was told that the miles on the car were actual. I am trying to trade in the car right now, but the salesman I talked to pulled a Carfax and discovered that there was a discrepancy with the miles on the car. On 07/29/2008 the car was reported to have had 16093 miles, 12,001 miles on 08/11/2008, and then 18,712 miles on 08/14/2008. I bought the car a month later with 18501 miles.

I found the paperwork from when I bought the car, and it has two boxes to check if there are any issues with the odometer. Neither box is checked, implying actual miles.

Is there any action I can take to be compensated or walk away from the car? I haven't contacted the seller yet.
Seems to me that the reported mileages are incorrect, not the odometer.

swalsh411

I bet the 12,001 should have been 17,001. (some people's 2's and 7's look a lot a like) You realize that what's reported in carfax is just whatever the service person at the dealer typed in right? It's not a magical system that scans the car and automatically updates the carfax.

If they mistook a 7 for a 2 this is exactly what would happen. (they were probably typing it in off something handwritten by the guy who actually looked at the odometer)

JETX

First, you cannot 'walk away'.
Second, as for 'action', you can file an odometer complaint with your state consumer agency and let them handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">