• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car title problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sharonrose

We live in Oregon, husband died end of April. Two of the kids' cars are in his name. We paid one off, but my daughter's is held by Chrysler Financial. She has sent letters of intent, death cert, all that they asked, and 5 months later, they still have not acted or contacted her. One local lawyer told us that we could tell them to just come pick up the car, and it would not go against my credit. We want to do what is right. The car is high interest, they wouldn't refinance it in her name BEFORE my husband died, and now they don't even have the courtesy to respond to her many phone calls and letters. Everytime she calls, another person tells her, yes, I will work on it. She wants to go to a dealer and just get a new car, they are all on sale now, lower interest on new cars, therefore lower payments, and better safety gives better insurance rates.
Can we just tell them to come get the car? Will it hurt my credit, being his spouse? The original title and financing was all done only in his name, and he neglected credit insurance on it, which has thankfully paid off our house and credit cards. He was only 52, agent orange related death.
I did not file his will, our wills were done 25 years ago, military-generic, and because everything else was joint tenancy, filing a will would have prolonged all the incredible details I had to deal with anyway. This was on the advice of our funeral director here in Oregon.
thanks, in spite of promises, I have yet to hear from the military advisers on all of these details

racer72

If I get the gist of your post, the car you want the title for is still being paid for? If that is the case, the finance company does not have to release the title till the car is paid for. And if you just turn the car over to the finance company, someone (most likely you as the heir to the estate) will get stuck with paying the outstanding balance after the car is sold. There is a way around this though. If the car is worth more than is owed, just take the car and payment book to your favorite dealer and trade it in. They will handle all the paperwork and whoever finances the new car will pay off the old one. I have purchased a number of new vehicles and I was still paying on the trade in vehicle each time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">