• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case against a car dealership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indiatracey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virgina....
My boyfriend, in my eyes, was decieved by a car dealership and I want to know if he has a case...be it in small claims court, or any other venu. Heres the situation. He went to his bank and go approved for a 14000 loan. He then went to a dealership and chose a truck. He signed paper work for it and was told he need to A) get insurance to drive off the lot and B) get the check from his bank and bring it to the dealership. It took him apox. 4 days to get both things in order. Today when he went to the dealership they had sold the truck. a female he spoke to had gone over the associates head who sold the truck, and sold it to someone else. Is there any way we can sue? He now has to apply for the loan again and theres a chance he wont be approved a second time.

swalsh411

Almost certainly not. They are in the business of selling vehicles, found a buyer for the one he wanted, and sold it.

Why wouldn't he be approved a second time for the same type of vehicle? :confused: And why did it take 4 days to get insurance and a check from the bank? Wasn't he at least pre-approved?

Next time, don't go shopping for a vehicle unless you have what you need to drive it off the lot.

Also, you have no damages.

Andy0192

How long do you think they should have held the vehicle for him? 4 days? 4 weeks? 4 months?

Without seeing the paperwork he signed, I doubt you have much of a case. It seems as though he agreed on a price for the vehicle, but didn't put money down on it, and did not complete the sale.

justalayman

He signed paper work for it and was told he need to A) get insurance to drive off the lot and B) get the check from his bank and bring it to the dealership.
I'm not seeing anything about any money changing hands here. If he did not make a partial payment or pay a holding fee or deposit, or there was something in what he did sign stating the would hold the vehicle for some specified period of time, he has no claim to the truck.

and I'm not real sure why it took 4 days to get the stuff in order. When I buy a vehicle, I call the insurance company from the dealership, give them the vin and I get a binder. maybe 15 minutes tops.

and at the bank: if he was already approved, all he should have had to do is call the bank, give them the VIN, tell them how much to make the check for and drop by and pick it up and sign the paperwork. Total time of about an hour, including phone time.

Not sure what he would have spent the other 3 days and 23 3/4 hours on.

and this makes no sense:

He now has to apply for the loan again and theres a chance he wont be approved a second time.
He was approved for a $14k loan. There is no reason he not only should still qualify but actually still be approved for the loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">