• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case against foreign airline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah_sd

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for the question, if not, moderators, please move.

We are looking to file a lawsuit against Royal Air Maroc airline.
My wife's mother was traveling from Sierra-Leone to Jamaica and transiting through Morocco and Brussels (BE) for our wedding. Although she had a boarding pass from Morocco to Belgium she was denied to board by airline staff without a valid reason.
My wife spoke with one of the airline's staff and they told her that her mother will be in the Brussels airport for more than 24 hours and she needs a transit visa.
According the Belgium and Schengen visa policies this is not true as well as she was not going to stay more than 15 hours.
The airline staff (Transit manager) took her passport from her and refused to return it. This prevented us from buying another ticket for her to attend the wedding.

We would like to be reimbursed for flight, hotel and moral damage.

So the question is how likely we'll win this case?
If anyone can recommend a lawyer with experience in such cases?

quincy

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for the question, if not, moderators, please move.

We are looking to file a lawsuit against Royal Air Maroc airline.
My wife's mother was traveling from Sierra-Leone to Jamaica and transiting through Morocco and Brussels (BE) for our wedding. Although she had a boarding pass from Morocco to Belgium she was denied to board by airline staff without a valid reason.
My wife spoke with one of the airline's staff and they told her that her mother will be in the Brussels airport for more than 24 hours and she needs a transit visa.
According the Belgium and Schengen visa policies this is not true as well as she was not going to stay more than 15 hours.
The airline staff (Transit manager) took her passport from her and refused to return it. This prevented us from buying another ticket for her to attend the wedding.

We would like to be reimbursed for flight, hotel and moral damage.

So the question is how likely we'll win this case?
If anyone can recommend a lawyer with experience in such cases?
What is the name of your US state?

Did you pay for the tickets or did your mother-in-law?

Last edited:

elijah_sd

State is Georgia.

I payed for tickets.

But I'm much more concerned by fact they can take and refuse to return passenger's passport, this seems even like a human right violation to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
State is Georgia.

I payed for tickets.

But I'm much more concerned by fact they can take and refuse to return passenger's passport, this seems even like a human right violation to me.
This forum is for US law only. Yours is not a matter pertaining to US law. Sorry.

LdiJ

State is Georgia.

I payed for tickets.

Of what country is she a citizen and where did they seize her passport?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Any advise on which forum I can ask this question?
Thank you!
Sorry, I don't know of any legal forums dealing with the relevant laws. Your mother-in-law should also look at her contract of carriage with the airline.

quincy

Thank you anyways! I'll keep looking.
The officials who took her passport had some reason for doing it. I think you need to find out the reason before you consider any legal action. Have your mother-in-law see an attorney in her part of the world.

Last edited:

elina2010

I dont know if this country need a ESTA to enter. ESTA is a pre. approval to travel to USA. But a lot of countries need to do this. And if she needs one and dont have one. She will not be able to board a plane. A lot of people dont know this .

quincy

I dont know if this country need a ESTA to enter. ESTA is a pre. approval to travel to USA. But a lot of countries need to do this. And if she needs one and dont have one. She will not be able to board a plane. A lot of people dont know this .
Here is a link to extracts from the UN's Annex 9, Chapter 5, which could be applicable here: http://www.un.org/en/sc/ctc/docs/bestpractices/chapter5.htm

This matter should be handled by the mother in her country after she finds out why her passport was held.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">