• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cash Refund Denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drev

i purchase an oriental carpet in Massachusetts and tried to return next day for cash credit on mastercard but was rejected by merchant. he claims he told me that I could not get a cash refund which he didn't and my receipt does not indicate it was a final sale. i have sent written notification to mastercard on this dispute and they are doing a review. i went thru the rest of his rug inventory without success.
do I have any other options?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

drev said:
i purchase an oriental carpet in Massachusetts and tried to return next day for cash credit on mastercard but was rejected by merchant. he claims he told me that I could not get a cash refund which he didn't and my receipt does not indicate it was a final sale. i have sent written notification to mastercard on this dispute and they are doing a review. i went thru the rest of his rug inventory without success.
do I have any other options?
My response:

You never mentioned why you wanted to return the carpet.

IAAL

D

drev

discovered when rug was in home the color didn't blend with decor and the quality as measured by knots per inch was below normal as defined by Consumer Reports for handmade oriental carpets.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

drev said:
discovered when rug was in home the color didn't blend with decor and the quality as measured by knots per inch was below normal as defined by Consumer Reports for handmade oriental carpets.
My response:

Unless, through some change of heart for purposes of "good will", I rather doubt you'll get your money back.

You see, it's not the merchant's fault that you:

1. Didn't ask for his "return policy" in writing prior to purchase.

2. Don't have an "eye" for the better qualities that make an Oriental carpet what it is.

3. or that the carpet does not match your decor.

Unless there is fraud, or the item purchased does not perform the intended purpose, or there is a design flaw, then there is no law that requires a merchant to allow returns of merchandise. Most larger merchants, e.g., Department Stores, allow returns as a matter of "good will" in the community - - but, that's merely a store policy and not a law.

As long as the carpet was imported from the "orient", then it is, as defined, an "oriental" carpet. Further, there are differing qualities of carpets made for "home country use" and for "export". So, all because the carpet doesn't have the "proper" knots per square inch, doesn't mean that it's not Oriental, defective, or will not perform it's intended purpose. And, if the carpet is, in fact, imported from the Orient, then there's no fraud involved.

Color coordination, quality, and your lack of "eye" for such quality, does not a refund make.

So, like I said, unless there is a change of heart on the merchant's part, you bought a carpet.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">