• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jannypooh

what is the name of your state? Minnesota
i have three cell phones from Sprint. my sister pays for one of the phones. she found out that her son that is twentyfive took the phone and charged the bill up to 895.00. is there anything I can do about the bill? can I charge my nephew with stealing the phone. i have been sick to my stomach every since I opened the bill. sprint said I am responsible for the phone bill since all three phones are in my name.

racer72

The police will consider the matter a civil problem and will not persue the case. If you want the money back, sue your nephew in small claims court. Even that is not a guarantee of payment though, you still have to collect from him.

J

Jannypooh

small claims court

How do you go about setting up small claims court?

JETX

Nothing in your post says that you had an agreement with your nephew for HIM to repay for usage. Therefore, you are going to need to sue your sister and not your nephew. If you win in court, then your sister would have to sue her son for his misuse.

Also, by having this phone 'agreement' you are setting yourself up for a lot of potential problems, just like this. I suggest that you 'recover' the phones that you are responsible for..... and let your sister get her own phone, in her own name, without you as a co-signer. And if you refuse to do that, at LEAST put any repayment agreement in writing and signed by all parties. The risks that you are taking are simply unacceptable. Anytime you get into a situation like this, even with 'family', always assume the worst will happen, because it usually will. GET IT IN WRITING.

J

Jannypooh

Agreement

The three phones were through my work and I received a discount. My sister and daughter wanted a phone also. I ordered three phones. The contract ended May 10th. I was going to cancel my sister and daughters phone. Thats when I received the bill and just about died. I don't even know how one person can rack up a cell phone bill that high in one month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">