• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronsidman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I used my Verizon Wirless card in the Dominican Republic and WAS NOT prompted that I was out of my coverage area and now sit here with $5,500.00 due. Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I used my Verizon Wirless card in the Dominican Republic and WAS NOT prompted that I was out of my coverage area and now sit here with $5,500.00 due. Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thank you!
So before you left for your trip did you call Verizon and ask them about using your service in the DR?

ronsidman

No.

No I did not call before hand. I know we shouldn't assume but I did think that there would be some type of alert system letting me know I was out of my coverage area when I logged on and there could be higher charges.

Silverplum

No I did not call before hand. I know we shouldn't assume but I did think that there would be some type of alert system letting me know I was out of my coverage area when I logged on and there could be higher charges.
That's a shame.

Have you discussed this problem with your carrier since you received the bill?

Antigone*

Call them and plead for mercy; however, they are under no legal obligation to discount that bill.

ronsidman

I talked with them today and they are saying that because I "electronically" agreed to the CSA, that I understood the possibility of higher charges outside of my coverage area. I read the CSA and it only defines "roaming" and says you may incur higher charges when outside of the coverage area. I just thought that I should have been alerted that I WAS outside of my area and realize I was going to pay a higher charge.

Antigone*

I talked with them today and they are saying that because I "electronically" agreed to the CSA, that I understood the possibility of higher charges outside of my coverage area. I read the CSA and it only defines "roaming" and says you may incur higher charges when outside of the coverage area. I just thought that I should have been alerted that I WAS outside of my area and realize I was going to pay a higher charge.
You could have been alerted had you been proactive and called. They are under no obligation to inform you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">