• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone company terminates my contract am I still legally responsible for a bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Panzercannon02

Arizona:

If my cell phone company terminates my contract because of too much roaming, and does not allow me to view my account online anymore, but yet doesn't turn off my service even thought they were supposed to, am I still legally responsible for a bill[1]?

Footnote 1: they stopped letting me access the bill online b/c they don't let me log in, I have e-bill only, and in order to change that setting you have to be able to log in, so in effect I can't see the bill. According to the guy who terminated my contract, there should be no more charges on my account, however I am still getting service. I looked into things, and there is still some "amount due" that grows by the same amount my contract was normally each month. Am I legally allowed not to pay that amount since there is no contract stating I am even a customer anymore?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Obviously, you still have service. Of course you are obligated to pay for it.

Panzercannon02

however, it is impossible for me to log in and pay. According to their website, I come up as a fraudulent user when I try to log in and it logs me back out automatically. (Fraud user is their normal flag for anyone who has had their contract terminated). When I call customer service, they can't look me up, my number comes up as a non-active account that has been terminated. I am wondering if I somehow slipped in a legal crack to where I can get free service (since I am still getting service even though my account is supposed to be terminated) without being contractually obligated to pay. Wouldn't this be similar to if a repair company came into your house, did some repairs and then sent you a bill without your prior authorization?

Proserpina

however, it is impossible for me to log in and pay. According to their website, I come up as a fraudulent user when I try to log in and it logs me back out automatically. (Fraud user is their normal flag for anyone who has had their contract terminated). When I call customer service, they can't look me up, my number comes up as a non-active account that has been terminated. I am wondering if I somehow slipped in a legal crack to where I can get free service (since I am still getting service even though my account is supposed to be terminated) without being contractually obligated to pay. Wouldn't this be similar to if a repair company came into your house, did some repairs and then sent you a bill without your prior authorization?

No, it's not similar at all.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you are sourcing through a secondary reseller, who gave you a discounted price. There is a clause, whereby they can terminate your contract, if you exceed their max usage standards. The failure to disconnect you line may be due to your contractually being obligated to the primary carrier, by default. I suggest you call them and work out the details before you receive a bill for several hundreds of dollars from the primary carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">