• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sprat33

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

I was a Nextel customer for over four years. I initially signed a contract for a two year committment. Over a year and a half AFTER completing my committment, I raised my minutes limit and started paying the increased fee. I did not sign any new contract, nor was I told of any new committment requirement for the adjustment. Then after paying the increased fee for about 10 months, I decided to switch users, keeping my same number. I then received a final bill which included a $200. plus $2.87 administrative fee for an early termination penalty charge. I paid the amount for services and wrote a letter saying that I was refusing to pay the penalty charge since I had fulfilled my original two year committment and had not signed any new contract for the increased minutes, nor been informed of any new committment requirement. I am now getting threatening letters saying that my account will be turned over to a collection agency and a negative report will be sent to the credit burueas. What recourse do I have?

When you increased your minutes was this a promo of some kind? Usually when you change your plan around depending if it was a promo rate....it may add to your contract.

Btw....you don't always have to "sign" a contract for it to be extended....if you agree over the phone that's considered a contract as well.

Sprat33

jpritchett81 said:
When you increased your minutes was this a promo of some kind? Usually when you change your plan around depending if it was a promo rate....it may add to your contract.

Btw....you don't always have to "sign" a contract for it to be extended....if you agree over the phone that's considered a contract as well.

It wasn't a promo. I just kept using more minutes than I had originally signed up for, so I increased the number of minutes so that I would pay for the higher minutes plan, rather than pay for overage. I got no special promotional considerations.

shizukana

I have modified the minutes on my plan with AT&T (now Cingular) several times. At no time have I ever been told that it changes any other terms of my contract (e.g., contract time committment). I know of others who have done the same.

Of course, we have not changed providers. But, there has never been any mention of changing other terms, even though changes have been promos for minutes.

For what it is worth, I had a company threaten to take me to collections over a bill for a subscription service for another product. I sent them a letter saying that I had no knowledge of the additional bill, and thus had no intention of paying. It has been about four or five weeks without any word thus far.

JETX

Sprat33 said:
Over a year and a half AFTER completing my committment, I raised my minutes limit and started paying the increased fee. I did not sign any new contract, nor was I told of any new committment requirement for the adjustment.
Okay, so what did Nextel say when you told them that?? Wanna' bet that they said you DID agree to a new committment when you CHANGED your original contract?? If that is the case, you will have a hard time trying to convince anyone that you didn't agree. And they won't, since they can simply claim that it is their practice to ALWAYS make a new committment when a customer changes his contract terms.

I then received a final bill which included a $200. plus $2.87 administrative fee for an early termination penalty charge. I paid the amount for services and wrote a letter saying that I was refusing to pay the penalty charge
Your post isn't clear as to what they billed and what you paid.... but it appears that you are pissing and moaning over ONLY $2.87!!

What recourse do I have?
Your only recourse is to try to negotiate a settlement with them. If unable, then you can certainly risk their continued demand for payment.

To Jetx, I think the Op mean that the $200 of the bill was the early term fee. That's the amount of the etf for Nextel.

The reason I asked about the minutes was......I used to work for Nextel and if you changed your minutes plan and it was a promo they added more time to your contract.

JETX

jpritchett81 said:
To Jetx, I think the Op mean that the $200 of the bill was the early term fee. That's the amount of the etf for Nextel.
I believe that is the case also.... but is NOT what the OP said (or implied).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">