• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cellphone contract or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cuss

I live in Florida, decided to get 2 cellphones from cingular, when I recieved the 2 phones in the mail they came with the wrong contract, I called cingular, they said they would send the correct contracts, in the mean time we used the phones. Before the new contracts arrived we got our bill, due to various taxes and fees the monthly bill is more than I am willing to pay for the service. The salesman did not fully explain the amount of what these taxes and fees would be. Since I haven't signed a contract but have used the phones am I obligated for the duration of the contract? The contract is for 24 months.

racer72

Read the contract you did not sign. It states that activating the phone automatically makes the contract valid even without a signature. Surprise. And because you did not fully read the contract you did not sign, it also explains the other expenses such as taxes and fees that go along with cell phone ownership. Surprise, surprise. You can call and attempt to negotiate some of the fees and charges down but they pretty much have their claws in you. Good luck. From a typical Cingular contract:
Prices do not include taxes, roaming, long distance, universal services, fees or other exactions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">