• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certfied vehicle had been in prior accidents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shrimp1010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

i bought a certified used vehicle only to find that it was in prior accidents. the carfax was clean. dealer is admitting that the front and rear bumpers were replaced after re-examining it. what negotiation power do i have?

Dealer is offering to "fix" a currently non-damaged car or me to buy a new vehicle.

The car is 3 yrs old and purchased for $26k as CERTIFIED PREOWNED. Damages were $3k and $5k (plus $1k property damage- on different occasion than the other 2 collisions).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

i bought a certified used vehicle only to find that it was in prior accidents. the carfax was clean. dealer is admitting that the front and rear bumpers were replaced after re-examining it. what negotiation power do i have?

Dealer is offering to "fix" a currently non-damaged car or me to buy a new vehicle.

The car is 3 yrs old and purchased for $26k as CERTIFIED PREOWNED. Damages were $3k and $5k (plus $1k property damage- on different occasion than the other 2 collisions).
Exactly what does "Certified Preowned" mean?
(That's going to be the crux of your problem.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please keep in mind that if the safety of the vehicle is not compromised by the repairs and if the vehicle wasn't "totaled" and doesn't have any notations on the title, then they are free to sell it as "Certified Preowned" without saying anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">