• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certified Cashiers Cheques-Limits of Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WHITEBUF

Am living in California. Have been out of work for some time and have beeb selling a number of my possessions to pay bills. A guitar I was advertising was bought by a buyer from Africa and paid for by a certified cashiers cheque drawn on a bank in Florida. Had heard that there had been a number of internet scams from Africa and Indonesia and, even though since childhood we're told that certified cashiers cheques are the safest form of monetary transfer (along with the much more expensive Western Union), I wanted to be extra careful.

Went in on a Friday and called the head teller over to have a look at it, explaining my concern. She and another bank employee inspected it, then she said it was "ok" and that I could go ahead and cash it. I hesitated and she told me to wait three working days if I was really that concerned. I took $900 of the $5000 (have a tax return for $854 coming) and left the rest in my account. Middle of the next week I went in and spoke to a young man working the information desk, once again explaining my concerns. He said everything looked "ok" but to wait 5 working days to be really safe. Beginning of the next week I went back and spoke to a young lady working the information desk, explaining my concerns (for the third time to three different employees) and she asked me where the issuing bank was and, after I told her Florida, she said 5 to 7 working days was quite safe. Two Fridays (10th working day) after I initially deposited the check I went back and spoke to the head teller one more time. She seemed amused I was so concerned, but was polite and told me that if anything was wrong it would have shown up by now-that everything was fine. So, finally, 3 days after the longest waiting period put forth by the bank (at my behest), I took most of the money out. Mind you, my finances are in shambles and I really needed the money, but I waited almost 50% longer than the longest waiting period suggested by the bank.

Since then I have heard of a scam coming out of Africa that involves certified cashiers cheques. Since I exceeded the guidelines set forth by the bank (guidelines I requested from them), am I in any way liable if it does prove to be "bad"?

Your assistance is appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, it's a scam. Most of these scams come out of Nigeria.

In fact, go to the search button up top, and type in Nigeria, and read all of the scams and advice.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">