• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CFPB (Consumer Finacial Protection Bureau) vs. Green Tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momma brown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
I received a check in the mail from CFPB for 10.71. The letter stated that I was receiving it because of a federal lawsuit and I have been identified as a borrower entitled to compensation under the settlement of borrowers who may have been harmed by Green Tree's unlawful practices. They also state that I can make legal claims that may be available to me. Can I pursue this?. Should I pursue or is it not worth the money I would have to pay a lawyer?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
I received a check in the mail from CFPB for 10.71. The letter stated that I was receiving it because of a federal lawsuit and I have been identified as a borrower entitled to compensation under the settlement of borrowers who may have been harmed by Green Tree's unlawful practices. They also state that I can make legal claims that may be available to me. Can I pursue this?. Should I pursue or is it not worth the money I would have to pay a lawyer?
Following are links to the FTC and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaint against Green Tree Servicing LLC, and to the Stipulated Order for Permanent Injunction and Monetary Judgment, these provided so you can read through them and know the reason for the original legal action and the reason why you received the check from CFPB.

Complaint: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/150421greentreecomplaint.pdf
Judgment: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/150421greentreestiporder.pdf

Whether you have any private cause of action against Green Tree that would be worth pursuing is not something anyone here can tell you. It depends on the specific harm caused you by Green Tree. You could have your particular interactions with Green Tree reviewed by an attorney in your area to determine better if it is worth your while to try to squeeze more money out of this company than the government already has.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Can I pursue this?. Should I pursue or is it not worth the money I would have to pay a lawyer?
Understand that you received that money due to a settlement not a verdict. The Defendant agreed to pay X dollars without any admission of wrongdoing.

If you pursue your own lawsuit you would have to prove the wrongdoing, with evidence - not just sayso - as well as proving any monetary damages.

You could spend tens of thousands on a lawyer to pursue the lawsuit for you if, indeed, the statute of limitations hasn't already run out.

quincy

Understand that you received that money due to a settlement not a verdict. The Defendant agreed to pay X dollars without any admission of wrongdoing.

If you pursue your own lawsuit you would have to prove the wrongdoing, with evidence - not just sayso - as well as proving any monetary damages.

You could spend tens of thousands on a lawyer to pursue the lawsuit for you if, indeed, the statute of limitations hasn't already run out.
There are steps a consumer like momma brown can take to dispute the validity of a debt, this without filing a lawsuit. momma brown should refer to page 13 on, in the Stipulated Order for Permanent Injunction (the link of which is provided above).

I think it can be worthwhile for momma brown to have an attorney review the extent of momma brown's involvement with Green Tree. Perhaps to save money, momma brown can find a free/low-cost legal aid clinic in the area for this review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">