• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charity Contract?

• Thread starter RunningInCircle
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RunningInCircle

What is the name of your state? MA

I signed up to take part in a charity organization to train for a marathon and help raise money to support their cause. The deadline is just around the corner (and so is the marathon), I haven't been able to run for several weeks now because of an injury that I've been trying to treat with the advice of the coach (and I fell enough behind so I won't even be able to run the marathon). Because the marathon is at a resort destination, approximately 30% of the money we raise covers our travel expenses. I've only been able to raise about 25% of the required fundraising amount... Back in April, I signed a contract stating if I didn't raise their fundraising minimum, my credit card would be charged the difference due. Well, I still have a LOT of money to raise (about $3,600), and I know I won't be able to make it. I can't run the marathon and I want OUT of this program. They say that I can't get out of the program and that I'm liable for all of this money.

Is there any way that I might be able to get out of it? Thanks!

Running-in-Circles

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

RunningInCircle said:
What is the name of your state? MA

I signed up to take part in a charity organization to train for a marathon and help raise money to support their cause. The deadline is just around the corner (and so is the marathon), I haven't been able to run for several weeks now because of an injury that I've been trying to treat with the advice of the coach (and I fell enough behind so I won't even be able to run the marathon). Because the marathon is at a resort destination, approximately 30% of the money we raise covers our travel expenses. I've only been able to raise about 25% of the required fundraising amount... Back in April, I signed a contract stating if I didn't raise their fundraising minimum, my credit card would be charged the difference due. Well, I still have a LOT of money to raise (about $3,600), and I know I won't be able to make it. I can't run the marathon and I want OUT of this program. They say that I can't get out of the program and that I'm liable for all of this money. Is there any way that I might be able to get out of it? Thanks!

Running-in-Circles

My response:

You may have an "equitable defense" of "impossibility of performance" if they decide to sue you. However, unless you have notified them with credible evidence of your injury AND that your injury keeps you from fundraising, then you probably won't be able to use that defense.

For example, would your injury keep you from making telephonic fundraising attempts? Doubtful. This conclusion is based upon the fact that you're able to get onto a computer and write your post, thereby demonstrating to me that if you can type on a keyboard, you can certainly punch numbers on a dialing pad.

I'd say, get to work.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">