• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a check equal to a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmcmudder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have submitted a bill for expense reimbursement dated between X date to Y date, then received a check for approx. 10% of the amount owed. On the check it states, it is for reimbursement of expenses from X to Y.

Does signing and depositing this check determine my lawful/legal acceptance of the reduced amount, and restrict or hinder my ability to recoup the full amount owed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have submitted a bill for expense reimbursement dated between X date to Y date, then received a check for approx. 10% of the amount owed. On the check it states, it is for reimbursement of expenses from X to Y.

Does signing and depositing this check determine my lawful/legal acceptance of the reduced amount, and restrict or hinder my ability to recoup the full amount owed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Is that EXACTLY what it says, or does it say "in full" on it?

JakeB

It's doubtful that cashing the check will prevent you from collecting the rest of what is owed. The rule is that a check like that will not extinguish the entire debt unless it is clear that cashing the check is considered an agreement, and the amount owed is in dispute.

HomeGuru

**A: not if it just states X to Y date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">