• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cingular/att Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRISHIA0910

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PENNSYLVANIA

I signed up with ATT Wireless a little over a year ago with the “family plan”. I just began scrutinizing my bill within the past two months due to the fact that I am always being charged for overage minutes.

I have found that minutes that should be billed as mobile to mobile on a “family plan” are actually being billed as billable minutes being deducted from the “anytime minute” slot. I signed up with this plan to be able to keep in communication with my college age children. They attend college an hour away. I was told that their place of schooling was part of the ATT network. I was assured by my salesman that I would be able to talk with my children, they could talk between themselves at school, retrieve voicemail messages from their own phone, and it would be billed to the 1,000 “family” mobile to mobile minutes.

I have found that when my children use their phone at school to call mobile to mobile, the majority of the time it is NOT being billed to the mobile to mobile portions of the plan. They cannot call each other, cannot call my cell, nor can they retrieve messages from voicemail without minutes being deducted from the “anytime” billable minutes slot.

I have discussed this problem their service department. Their explanation for the problem is that the transmission wave is hitting a competitor’s tower and being billed as an “anytime” minute, and there is nothing that can be done about it, and that I should have read my contract better before signing it because there is no guarantee of coverage anywhere! My salesman assured me that I would have no problem with the service and minutes being billed to the “family plan” when the calls were made mobile to mobile from our areas. He even showed me colored map showing coverage. It was also suggested by Cingular that I sign up for a new contract and add more “anytime minutes”. That suggestion makes no sense at all.

I would like to end my contract, but they tell me I will have to pay 175.00 per phone or $600.00 total.

I feel that I was told fraudulent information and have been billed fraudulently from the time that I purchased this plan. ATT is now Cingular. What are the legalities with ATT selling contracts to another carrier without users permission?

What options do I have?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">