• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming a receipt from GM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fonz38

What is the name of your state?Michigan

I bought a new car from GM in 2003. At the time, they had a promotion where they would give $1000 cash back to recent college graduates. I qualified for this promotion but did not have the diploma because i did not attend my graduation. They gave me a receipt for $1000 and told me that once I got the diploma, I would receive the refund. For a variety of reasons, mainly my own procrastination, i didn't get my diploma mailed to me until recently. When I went to present my diploma and receipt to GM, they told me too much time had passed. The salesperson told me I had to have done it within 1 month, the manager told me it was 6 months. I never signed anything where any length of time was mentioned, nor is there any applicable small print on my purchase order-all I have is a receipt for $1000 with my name, the date, a deal # and a customer #. I believe I am entitled to this money and am considering small claims court. Any thoughts or advice?

divgradcurl

Go ahead and sue them in small claims court, but don't be suprised if they raise "laches" as a defense. Unless you can come up with a better excuse than "I was a procrastinator" as to why you waited 2 years to get your diploma and try and obtain the rebate, the court may very well find that your claim is not timely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">