• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clarification of School Contract Sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

capt.curt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My school has a contract for living on campus and the first bullet point states the following;

"A.All single freshman and sophomore students under age 21, not residing with parent(s) or legal guardian(s), and having earned fewer than 60 credit
hours in two (2) full years after completing High School are required to live in UIS Housing. "

I have contacted them before stating this does not apply to me because I am over the age of 21. Their response was it does not matter you are still under 60 credit hours so you are required to live on campus.

I was looking for clarification in this quote to see how it is interpreted.

Thank you

LdiJ

My school has a contract for living on campus and the first bullet point states the following;

"A.All single freshman and sophomore students under age 21, not residing with parent(s) or legal guardian(s), and having earned fewer than 60 credit
hours in two (2) full years after completing High School are required to live in UIS Housing. "

I have contacted them before stating this does not apply to me because I am over the age of 21. Their response was it does not matter you are still under 60 credit hours so you are required to live on campus.

Thank you
It states very clearly that the rule only applies to those under 21. I suggest that you take it to someone above the person that you are talking to.

quincy

Thank you
Apparently the school is interpreting the phrase to mean you must live in UIS Housing until you have 60 credit hours or more, regardless of age. Ultimately for you, that might be the most important interpretation.

That said, the phrase is not written to say what the university is saying it says, so if you are wanting to argue the fact that you are over 21 so the requirement does not apply to you, it appears to me that you have some support for that argument.

I hope the person at the school who interpreted the contract for you, or the attorney who drafted the contract, does not have a B.A. or M.A. in English.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">