• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client wants me to pay her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sinman0531

I am in Florida, and I am a small business owner; I train dogs primarily but also offer pet sitting. My situation is this:

I was contacted by a woman who is somehow related to one of my existing clients. Her self-admitted anxiety-ridden dog could not be boarded at a kennel facility and so she wanted me to dog sit for her on her week long vacation. We met once and it was very obvious she was creating most of the anxiety in her dog with her behavior. Nevertheless I agreed to take the job and she went over all the nuances. She told me he has been known to "lift his leg" if he hasn't gone out in awhile, but failed to specify a time period that included "a while". I was to stay at this persons house for the duration of my contract. We spoke a few times while she was gone, the last time being a few hours before her return; she said I could leave in the afternoon and her dog would be ok.

I follow up a few days after because she had yet to returns calls about payment. She calls me later and says that I am responsible for her dog ruining her floors in the bedroom where I stayed. I told her that was highly unlikely as I was there basically the whole time, and I was in the house barefoot. I would have noticed something like urine puddles. She retorts with no real explanation except "well these were not something that just appeared overnight!" So she is refusing to pay me the few hundred dollars, and in addition wants me to pay her. I am very suspicious and obviously miffed. I have been taking care of animals for the better part of six years and have many other happy clients. Granted I have not seen the "damage" and you'd think if it was an issue she'd have been a little more prompt in drawing it to my attention (instead of waiting almost 4 days).

Now, from a consumers stand point, does her "request" have any traction. It was her dog, her property and she admitted he was not 100% house trained. He urinated when I first got to the house out of fear and when I told her she said "oh yes he does that." Likewise, I plan on sending her a certified letter demanding payment and refuting any liability. Does MY request have any traction?

quincy

I am in Florida, and I am a small business owner; I train dogs primarily but also offer pet sitting. My situation is this:

I was contacted by a woman who is somehow related to one of my existing clients. Her self-admitted anxiety-ridden dog could not be boarded at a kennel facility and so she wanted me to dog sit for her on her week long vacation. We met once and it was very obvious she was creating most of the anxiety in her dog with her behavior. Nevertheless I agreed to take the job and she went over all the nuances. She told me he has been known to "lift his leg" if he hasn't gone out in awhile, but failed to specify a time period that included "a while". I was to stay at this persons house for the duration of my contract. We spoke a few times while she was gone, the last time being a few hours before her return; she said I could leave in the afternoon and her dog would be ok.

I follow up a few days after because she had yet to returns calls about payment. She calls me later and says that I am responsible for her dog ruining her floors in the bedroom where I stayed. I told her that was highly unlikely as I was there basically the whole time, and I was in the house barefoot. I would have noticed something like urine puddles. She retorts with no real explanation except "well these were not something that just appeared overnight!" So she is refusing to pay me the few hundred dollars, and in addition wants me to pay her. I am very suspicious and obviously miffed. I have been taking care of animals for the better part of six years and have many other happy clients. Granted I have not seen the "damage" and you'd think if it was an issue she'd have been a little more prompt in drawing it to my attention (instead of waiting almost 4 days).

Now, from a consumers stand point, does her "request" have any traction. It was her dog, her property and she admitted he was not 100% house trained. He urinated when I first got to the house out of fear and when I told her she said "oh yes he does that." Likewise, I plan on sending her a certified letter demanding payment and refuting any liability. Does MY request have any traction?
Yes, your request to be paid for your dog-sitting services has some traction. You had, I assume, a written contract outlining the terms of your stay at her home to watch her dog, and the costs that will be due you for doing so?

But, she, in turn, could have a claim for any damages to her home that she can PROVE either you or her dog did during the time of your stay at her home while you were in charge of the dog.

Do you have anything in writing about her "untrained" and "anxiety-ridden" dog (an email or letter)? This could help support the fact that the dog could have caused damage after you left the house and in the four days subsequent to your stay at the house. The woman should have photos or other evidence of the damage, by the way. Her saying there is damage is not enough.

The certified letter demanding payment and refuting any liability is a good start. You may find, though, that you have to take her to small claims court to get paid, if she is firm about not paying. Then it will be a judge who will determine who gets paid, how much, and for what.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">