• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clunker of a Deal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjray48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
My son purchased a new car because he qualified using the "cash for clunkers" deal. He signed all the necessary papers to purchase this car. He was told that he can not take the car until the dealership finds out if they're going to get their money for his clunker. Can they legally do this? He gave them his car and now he is without a vehicle to go to work with. What can be done to get them to release his new car to him?

bjray48

As of this past Monday, the government guaranteed that the money will be reimbursed to all dealers who did transactions as of that date. I would say that the dealer would have a legitimate law suit against the government if the reneged on the guarantee. My son is still out of a car however, and the dealer who took a $1500.00 downpayment is really still sitting pretty right now.

BL

The son should call the Office of Attorney General consumer affairs and find out if the dealer was allowed to make the deal , including keeping his auto ,then hold off to see if the clunker funds will be released ,before releasing the new car .

bjray48

Update

Just an update. We did call the attorney general's office after my son was yelled at and treated like dirt by the owner of the dealership. He was not happy and threatened to cancel the contract. Little did we know that he was a member of the automobile association board. (hehe) You can't treat your customers like he did. Well anyway, it worked!!! My son picked up his car today. Sometimes retailers should be very leery about who they piss off or give a hard time to. Some people (us) just won't take it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">