• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co-signing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

t1128

I co-signed for my sister, and a year later she went and refinanced the loan without me being there, I was told that because she did that it should have removed my name from the loan where I'm no longer responsible, yet it is still on my credit report. Am I still partly responsible for the loan?
in ohio

D

don62

You should check to see if she paid off the old loan. That would make it paid off on your credit report. You can also check the details of the credit report. It will remain listed just paid. Check with the people who gave you the loan, they should have it in their records as paid as well.

T

t1128

I checked my credit report and it showed the old loan as "PAID ACCOUNT/ZERO BALANCE" but then it shows it opened again under a new account number. Can they do that?

D

don62

Contact the people who made the new loan. It sounds like they used the old data. Find out what they did and ask to see copies of the signed loan. I'm not sure that they can do this. You may have to get a lawyer in your area to review this. I would not allow this to stay on my record but if you still want to be a co-signer, that is up to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">