• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-signing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kaiya3166

Arizona

To the point, co signed for sister, sister backed out 2 months after signed lease and damaged apartment. We have children and dont have alot of money to spend. we paid 2 months of back rent and the electric bill, and 1/3rd of the judgement including damages. We now live with family and need to get out on own. we had an apartment after the judgement, because of the kindness of the landlord who looked past the credit. Now we need to move again, and the rest of the judgement stops us from getting a place to live, I know that we co-signed and I know that we are responsible,we paid alot! is there anyway that we could get what is left placed in the hands of sister and sisters boyfriend, we paid almost 1500 dollars trying to save the lease. We really need to move and we are getting turned down left and right from every apartment we look at and we never lived in the place! Please tell me if there is anything we can do other than suing someone, we dont have the money!They refuse to pay anything. Can they get away with it, I dont think its right.

JETX

Regretfully, you are stuck with the payment history, unless you can get your sister to face her responsibilities and take care of the problem.

Also, it might help you to realize that you can sue your sister in Small Claims court to recover your damages (the money you have spent), but you need to review the chances of recovery first. You could win the judgment, but have it be worthless if she has no assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">