• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Payment on a Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Southbound85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I sold a tuba for $6500 in 2005. The buyer asked for, and I agreed to, a payment plan of $3000 down, then two payments of $2000 and $1500. Under our agreement, the final payment would have been 5 months from the down payment. This was agreed upon in April of 2005.

To this day the buyer owes me $1500 (he freely admits this). The buyer simply does not have the money to pay me. I have given him many options to include paying me with a credit card, returning the tuba to me (I offered to "buy" it back for $4000), or giving me property of his as a trade (specifically musical instruments). The buyer was not able to accept any of these options.

I need to resolve this issue. Our contract was verbal, but it is well documented in email exchanges.

What can I do if he does not have any money? I cannot sue for the return of the tuba in small claims court and if I sue him for money he will likely not be able to pay it.

I appreciate any assistance on this matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I sold a tuba for $6500 in 2005. The buyer asked for, and I agreed to, a payment plan of $3000 down, then two payments of $2000 and $1500. Under our agreement, the final payment would have been 5 months from the down payment. This was agreed upon in April of 2005.

To this day the buyer owes me $1500 (he freely admits this). The buyer simply does not have the money to pay me. I have given him many options to include paying me with a credit card, returning the tuba to me (I offered to "buy" it back for $4000), or giving me property of his as a trade (specifically musical instruments). The buyer was not able to accept any of these options.

I need to resolve this issue. Our contract was verbal, but it is well documented in email exchanges.

What can I do if he does not have any money? I cannot sue for the return of the tuba in small claims court and if I sue him for money he will likely not be able to pay it.

I appreciate any assistance on this matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Sue the bad guy in small claims court. Judgments last a long time...

Southbound85

Who Legally Owns the Property?

I live in Georgia, the buyer lives in Michigan. I'm reluctant to sue in small claims court for $1500 due to the costs I would incur with travel, lodging, missed work, etc... (especially if I were to lose). I don't believe I can claim these costs in my case.

Ideally, I would like to reclaim the tuba. Is this even possible? Who legally owns it at this point? If it is legally mine, I want it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">