• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Catalog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smitmit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan. I was attending a college in Michigan. I was required to take a science class with a lab at a community college to complete my Bachelor's at the University. It states in my education plan this must be done with a "c" or better. I received a "d+". The college catalog states that this is acceptable if it was 1) included in your transfer of the associates degree credits 2) If the grade comes from the college that you received your associates degree from.

I contacted my administrator she said "no" not acceptable. So, I contacted the Dean. She said "no". I tried numerous others at the community college. No. Nothing was going to change the grade. No one was accepting the grade. I then appealed to the dean all of my steps to change the grade. She sent me a certified letter telling me that my science instructor had said he tried to help me and I applied no effort despite his warnings to me. WHAT?

I have my college work and the syllabus, which is on of the most pathetic syllabus' I have ever seen. There were no details on readings or assignments. It was difficult to get the instructor to communicate with you. I tried in class...he'd shrug. I would email he would not answer all the time. He never directly spoke to me about any of my grades even when I asked. He would shrug. So, I assumed I was passing.

I can appeal the community college class and get my money back. I feel this defamation. None of this happened and I can show I did the work and did it well. I did miss some days due to doctors appointments and made up work. The university dean however, I feel, is abusing her power. If the catalog implies it should take the grade, the only class preventing me from graduating, and she has the power to waive it and goes to great lengths to not waive it, is it just? Is this a violation of the catalog?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your plan was specific and clear. A "D+" is not a "C or better". I see no defamation here, nor do I see any way you can force anyone to change the grade that you earned.

Dave1952

The university is willing to accept your grade for 2 reasons. These reasons are: 1) That you transferred from a community college with the poor grade, or 2) That you earned the poor grade in a "post graduate" course at the community college where you earned your Associates degree.
Is this correct? Do either of these apply in your case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">