• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college sports, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdkski

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm not sure this is the correct area to post this question.
My daughter is planning on attending a college in Florida. She has been admitted and last summer committed verbally to play Div 2 volleyball for the college. The Coach offered her a 15,000 yr scholarship and explained to us that our daughter could not be contacted by other coaches and was commiting 100% to attending that school. In January we were notified that the coach had resigned and the college's Athletic Director said he would not do anything about the verbal commitment and that the new coach would make that descision.
A new coach was hired and started in April 1st. We had to go to Florida for my daughter to try-out. After the try-out the coach meet with all of us and stated that my daughter was the best out of all the recruits and she had a place on the team and that she would be offering her a scholarship. The coach also stated that she would have to call us with the exact amount as she didn't have the final figures from her Athletic Director. One week later we received two phone messages stating that she had an "offer to make" and " I want to make you an offer that you will be happy with". After playing phone tag for 3 days my daughter finally contacts the coach. The coach then states that she doesn't have any room on the team for her position and that she will not be able to offer her a place on the team. As you can see things are really a mess.
Is there anything legally that we can do. I have notified the Athletic Director and he will not return my calls. I do have the phone messages from the current coach. Any advice would be wonderful.
Thank You

shortbus

What legal case do you think you have? There was a lot of hypothetical talk, but it doesn't sound like there was a contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">