• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Company Can Use Your Credit Card Any Way They Like?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weezie123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I signed a 24 month agreement with a Dish TV company three months ago. Customer service, reception, and billing are F-. As well, I did not get the channels that were advertised in the flyer I received in the mail.I came home to find the dish not functioning (again) which was the last straw.

I called the company, and after mentioning the BBB I was immediately transferred to 'The Executive Office'. First, I know the credit card used to open the account is no longer valid. Initially this made me feel better, knowing I would just suffer a black mark on my credit record until...

The woman in the Executive Office became extremely rude and intimidating. At the end of the call she said, "I see you paid your bill online last month with Credit Card XYZ." I asked her what that had to do with the situation, and she replied, "Oh nothing."

Concerned, I called Card XYZ and told them about the conversation. I also read them the terms of the agreement: "...if prior to the end of your term commitment, your service is disconnected, you agree to pay, and we will automatically charge, a cancellation fee to your "Qualifying Card" (as defined below).

Qualifying Card-"By signing the above, you authorize ____ to charge cancellation fee(s) that you owe under the Agreement to the credit card or debit/check card that you initially provided to _____(the "Qualifying Card"). This would be the card you provided prior to installation, which allows you to bypass the activation fee.

I asked them what the outcome of a charge dispute would be with this company, and was told they are notorious for getting these charges through any means possible. For example, if you used a friend/relative's card to pay one month, the card number would be added to their files for future reference.

I was told 99.9% of the time this company is successful in winning disputes if they find a card with enough credit on it to make the charge. If one were to provide a copy of this agreement, and the definition of "Qualifying Card" it would make no difference.

How can this be? If one authorizes a one-time payment of a bill, it does not authorize the company to keep the card number and use it any way they wish. Why would this not be an unauthorized charge, and why is the Credit Card Co. so blasé about it?

Help me. I feel like I've just landed on a strange planet. Is this what corporate personhood looks like, and are they all related:confused:

ShyCat

How can this be? If one authorizes a one-time payment of a bill, it does not authorize the company to keep the card number and use it any way they wish. Why would this not be an unauthorized charge, and why is the Credit Card Co. so blasé about it?
But you didn't authorize just a one-time payment. You also authorized them to charge that card for a cancellation fee in exchange for not being charged an activation fee.

-"By signing the above, you authorize ____ to charge cancellation fee(s) that you owe under the Agreement to the credit card or debit/check card that you initially provided to _____(the "Qualifying Card"). This would be the card you provided prior to installation, which allows you to bypass the activation fee."

weezie123

But you didn't authorize just a one-time payment. You also authorized them to charge that card for a cancellation fee in exchange for not being charged an activation fee.
No. Like I said, the "Qualifying Card" (card given when account was activated), is not the same card as the card used to make the payment.

[The states alleged that DISH Network: Refused to accept responsibility for misconduct by its third-party retailers and installers; violated do-not-call rules; failed to disclose all key terms and conditions of their customer agreements; did not disclose that purchased or leased equipment was previously used and/or refurbished; charged customer credit cards and debited bank accounts without providing adequate notice and obtaining appropriate authorization; and committed other violations. The company denied any wrongdoing.

Iowa Attorney General, Tom Miller

If the company uses a card to obtain termination fees that is not the 'Qualifying Card', then they are guilty of the portion highlighted in bold above.

swalsh411

You're asking for answers based on a hypothetical scenario. Dish hasn't charged your card the cancellation and you haven't been unsuccessful at disputing it. Unless there are Dish network employees here nobody can tell you whether or not they will try to charge your card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">