• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company has defaulted on promissory note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Outdoorsman21

What is the name of your state? TN

When leaving employment at a privately held corporation I was required to sell my stock in the corp.--was given a promissory note to meet payment terms over 3.5 years as per the stockholder agreement (which is kind of gray on "payment in full" for sold stock). First annual payment was made to me, did not include interest as promissory note stated and then when tried to cash check--would not clear at bank (3 attempts). What recourse do I have to collect not only the outstanding payment but the entire loan amount (about $26,000) from the company. They seem to have a history of this inability to meet the terms of a promissory note. The company has significant assests (as do the owners who have personnal guarantees for many of the corporations debts).

Last edited:

O

Outdoorsman21

Anyone with any ideas?

Any keen legal minds out there want to take this one on?:confused:

FarmerJ

Does the bank they use have any procedure to allow you to place the check into collections til that check is paid ? Otherwise definitely speak with a attorney . If you dont know one you can use this websites FIND A LAWYER link and arrange for a consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">