• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company lied to gain personal information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alstrangl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
Company located in MO.

I received a phone call a few weeks back from a whole sale magazine company I had services with from 2008. I have a membership that is 5 years long, and it began in 2008. I have been waiting for the services to run out since then. They asked if I wanted to renew, and I told them I no, and I planned to have my membership to just to run out. The person said that was fine, and that she would put her "manager" on the phone to so I could give a good rapport. The so-called manager on the phone said they wanted to update my information and needed my address and credit card. After being reassured that I would not be charged, I gave my info to them. He then said he had to record part of the conversation for company purposes making sure I understood the terms of service. I again asked if I would be charged, and he reassured me I would not. He spoke extremely fast during the recording, and it was difficult to understand what he was saying. They've charged my account when I said I did not want to renew. I've contacted the bank to dispute the transaction, but they said the recording poses a problem and there is a possibility I will not be refunded. I was wondering if the company can legally obtain my information this way, can they renew my membership when the first one is not finish, and is there any sort of action I can take against the company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">