• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Misrepresentation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linz1984

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Florida, however the company's involved are in Utah and in Nevada.

I recently joined the Doba company to try and make some money on eBay as a supplemental income because I am currently unemployed. Shortly after I signed up for their 7 day free trial I was called by a company representative who convinced me to sign up for a 15 month membership. I did this, and knew right away I had been talked into something I probably shouldn't have done but since I was stuck I decided to try to make the most of it.

After a few weeks of not being able to make much of the membership because of a low profit margin I was contacted by a man who said he was with Doba and his job title was as a Qualifier. His job was to find people who they could turn into a success story for Doba. I told him I wasn't really interested but he talked me into hearing him out. He said that there was no guarantee that I would qualify but he would set up an interview with me and we would talk over a few things. I was in a hurry to get him off the phone so I agreed. The following day I called him back, and he gave me is schpeal about the program. The entire time he said he was representing Doba. The deal was that they would set me up with a Doba teacher who would teach me how to use the Doba website and market their products to make a profit. The only thing they wanted in return was a success story that they could post on their website. They would of course need me to invest into the project. My investment would pay for a website, and the coaching. Besides that I would have to pay for the webhosting every month, and a domain fee. I stressed that after the investment I was spread too thin to pay much after that, and they assured me that there would be no more fees after that. After talking to me for about 15-20 min he said that he liked what he had heard. That I was unemployed, but wanted to make a go of an internet business. Especially since I was looking to go into grad school and may not be able to work normal hours and do both. He said that he would have his boss call me and he would go over all the details.

His boss did, and in the end I paid a $950 initial investment fee and they took out a loan in my name for another $2100+. When they made the billing transaction they said that it would show up on my statement as Ivy Capital, but to not be worried. I assumed (wrongly) that it was just their merchant service they used to charge cards. Since I know that some companies charges will show up under a different name on your statement. Once the transaction was complete his secretary transferred me to another department to set me up with their coach. During this time I was assured that I had a 30 day money back guarantee in case something came up.

I was set up with a coaching session for a couple of days later. When I talked to my coach I found out he wasn't even with Doba, he was with another company, who suggested I didn't even use Doba because it wasn't a very good way to make a profit. He also said that I would need to get a business license (which is another $200) and possibly sign up with other wholesalers, and affiliates. This amounted to an extra $300-$500 dollars. Something I had been assured I would not have to do. This threw me off, and right away I knew I wanted out of this because this was not what I had signed up for. As soon as I got off the phone with the coach I tried to call the guy who had signed me up for it. To this day all I have ever heard was his voicemail. I have left several voice messages, and have never recieved a call back. I also called his assistant, the man that I was first contacted by. He assured me that it was okay, and that I was guaranteed my money back, however he couldn't do it himself. He would give my file to his boss and have him call me back. Which of course, he never has. I called him back again a few days later, and again he said not to worry I would get my money back, he would tell him I had called. His assistant no longer picks up his phone.

Finally, instead of dialing their extensions I let it go to the operator. She said that she would transfer me to their resolution department. The man that I talked to there said that they have a 3 day cancellation policy and that I must have misunderstood. There is no way to get my money back, and that just like a college I could pay the money and get the education I paid for, or not get it. Either way I was out the money. I didn't pay for a coach to make an online business, I signed up for a coach to help me utilize my Doba account to give them a success story.

After some more digging I found out that the first two men I had talked to might not have even worked for Doba. That they worked for a company called Ivy International. The company that had charged my credit card. I have gone over the Doba website and they explicitly say that no affiliate is allowed to use their name in any way. As well, as the fact that I have been contacted by several people since then saying that they were with Doba, but when pressed they said that in fact they were not.

Now I have worked with three different companies, when I originally thought I was only going to work with one.

I know that the very least the first man that I talked to misrepresented himself and the company he worked for. Right now, I am looking at a $3,000 loss. Is there any legal action, or any action at all, I can take to try and at least get my money back, and the loan canceled?

This has all transpired in less than 30 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">