• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compilation CDs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LawStudent05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hey everyone,

I wanted to write and ask if anyone knew the proper legal steps in creating, producing, marketing & selling a compilation CD. A compilation CD featuring different artists that follow a certain theme or genre. Thank you for any help you can throw my way :)

You Are Guilty

You'll need licenses for each of the songs. (I believe you can go to BMI or ASCAP to get most of the major ones). Of course, these will not be free, if they are even available.

Or you can just burn your own CDs and save your profits for when you get sued for copyright infringement.

PS: I really hope you haven't taken IP Law yet before asking this.

divgradcurl

You'll need licenses for each of the songs. (I believe you can go to BMI or ASCAP to get most of the major ones).
That'll get you licenses for the "sound recordings" -- you'll also need to go to the Harry Fox Agency to get licenses for the underlying "musical works."

stevek3

LawStudent05 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hey everyone,

I wanted to write and ask if anyone knew the proper legal steps in creating, producing, marketing & selling a compilation CD. A compilation CD featuring different artists that follow a certain theme or genre. Thank you for any help you can throw my way :)
While you're working on that, maybe you can find a way for record companies to quit screwing the public by including full versions of songs on their "greatest hits" CDs instead of passing off the badly-edited singles versions as the actual songs. The consumer has absolutely no idea they're being jobbed until they actually open up the wrapper and put the CD in the CD player. I'm really sick of it. I'm in my fifth decade of life, and I don't have much longer to live. I've been waiting for 25 years for a complete and comprehensive greatest hits collection from Foghat and Sweet that includes the complete and unedited versions of "Slow Ride" and "Love is Like Oxygen." Every compilation album from every artist should have the complete songs that were on the original albums, and not the butchered edited singles versions. Otherwise, it's a complete ripoff and I've thrown my money down the toilet. Hell, I had to buy the Moody Blues box set just to have a complete comprehensive compilation that also included the complete album version of "Nights in White Satin." The first few greatest hits releases edited and butchered the song, as if they're going to lose money by paying a couple of extra bucks to include the full original album version on a compilation. Those damn record companies really piss me off.

Thanks for letting me vent. Now, what was your question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">