• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A complicated Craigslist issue - I PAID cash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennifer341

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hi - bare with me as I try to concisely explain my issue.

I arranged to purchase two camera bodies from a seller. I did a lot of fact checking with him beforehand, and felt he was legit. We met in a public space, I paid in cash, inspected the goods, and everything was great. At that time, I had built up enough confidence in him to also pre-pay for two lenses at the time we met. He described how this process worked and it made sense to me. He doesn't buy anything until the seller actually pays him. He wrote up an order slip and gave a copy to me. All it contained were the items I was "pre-ordering" and the amount I was paying upfront.

Since contacting him on Craigslist, I've never called him, only texted so I would have somewhat of a paper trail.

Over the coming weeks, we texted back and forth and he kept me updated on the shipping progress of my order. Everything seemed great. He said they came in and we could arrange a time to meet again. This is where it got weird - things kept getting in the way of us meeting on his end. As a few weeks went by, I would check in again and we would agree on a day. That day would come and then he wouldn't reply to me so we never met. So here I am... weeks later. Now he is not replying at all. His last reply was a week ago saying we could meet Friday.

I have no idea what he's up to, but it honestly just seems like a flakey guy more than an actual scammer.

The ONLY information I have on him is his iPhone #, our texts, and the receipt. No name, no address, not even an email. This makes things very difficult. I know I was not smart about this; but this the situation I'm in and I'm seeking any help I can get.

Is this something I can take up with my law firm even though all I have is a phone number, and text history? I am a member of LegalShield.

Thank you.

adjusterjack

I have no idea what he's up to, but it honestly just seems like a flakey guy more than an actual scammer.
He's a scammer. If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. A duck who scammed you out of your money.

I know I was not smart about this;
Ya got that right.

Is this something I can take up with my law firm even though all I have is a phone number, and text history? I am a member of LegalShield.
Then call them up and see what they can do for you.

How much money is at stake?

Dandy Don

Report this to craigslist to see if they will give you any information or ask them to at least void his account so that he can't do business through them anymore. In the future, get the details (name, address, phone number, references) in advance so that you can do due diligence before you make the purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">