• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer Sale - Outrageous Handling Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jspyder

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I recently entered into a tentative contract to purchase a computer. However, I discovered after the fact that the shipping and handling charges are up to 250 times the purchase price (this was easily discoverable prior to my entering the contract). Is this legal? If so, how?

Z

zappy

gee we could argue all day on this...so why didnt you put the details in your post?

lets ask 100 questions?

was this an ebay auction?

did you win at $1.00 and s&h was $200?

J

jspyder

URGENT!!!!!!

The previous message about my being overbid was in error. I am still the high bidder.

Please help A.S.A.P.

J

jspyder

Somehow my previous message was lost:

This is an e-bay auction. The item is a computer system that was posted with a minimum $1 bid. I am currently the high bidder at $10, but the (originally and clearly posted) shipping and handling is over $1,300.00.

I need to know if this is legal, or if I have any recourse in getting out of this contract other than simply renegging (which I definitely do NOT want to do unless I absolutely have to).

racer72

Yes it is legal, the seller can charge as much as he wants for shipping and handling. And I am going to be a nice guy and tell you what the Ebay seller is doing. And after reading my post, you will go to Ebay and immediatly withdraw your bid. You will then enter the the URL
http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html and report the seller to Ebay rules and safety reports.

Ebay sets the price for having an auction on how much the item sells for. This price is a percentage of the selling price. For the auction you described, if in fact you win the auction with a $10 bid, it auction on Ebay is going to cost the seller $1, which is 10% of the selling price. But if that same item sold for what it may be worth, and I am going to guess $1300, the sellers premium is 5% or $65. Looks like the seller has found a way to make an additional $64. Or so he thinks. The seller is scamming Ebay and is obviously decieving potential bidders. Now head on over to Ebay and put a stop to this bozo.

J

jspyder

Just for the record: I have reported the item and seller to E-bay.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, if nothing else, the seller knows the definition of the word "fungible".

"Being of such a nature that one part or quantity may be replaced by another equal part or quantity in the satisfaction of an obligation."

So, if he can't get you on the "front end" price, he'll get you on the "back end" costs. Money is money, so it doesn't matter to him what the amounts are called or in what category the money is derived. It still amounts to the real, overall, purchase price of the computer.

But, what the seller wasn't counting on was the fact that his shipping and handling charges could very well be construed as being "unconscionable." If this situation comes down to a court battle, the court would undoubtedly find, as a matter of law, that the contract or any clause of the auction contract was unconscionable at the time it was made the court may refuse to enforce the contract, or it may enforce the remainder of the contract without the unconscionable clause, or it may so limit the application of any unconscionable clause as to avoid any unconscionable result.

The problem for the seller would be to convince a court that his labor to buy and construct a shipping box, pack that box, and ship that box with the computer - - against comparable commercial costs for the same - - was "reasonable".

I believe that a court would see the "scam" for what it is, and to award the seller with the reasonable value of labor and materials to ship a similar box by commercial methods.

Additionally, at the price of $1,300.00, our buyer/writer would spend far less money to physically fly to the location of the seller and personally pick up the computer. Also, he could stay at a five star hotel and have the best meals on the menu, AND still pay less overall.

Let the seller sue you. Let him explain to a court why his labor and materials are worth their weight in gold!

IAAL

Last edited:
J

jspyder

Thank you all. Apparently, E-bay agrees; they've terminated the auction on this item, and informed me that I have no legal obligation to complete the contract since the seller violated their rules.

Justice is served! (Usually red hot, from my experience!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">