• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

computer wizard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jody123

What is the name of your state? oregon

I contacted a person through an ad, only by phone and e-mails, to help me upload my web page that I designed. My fault, we didn't discuss prices. He hooked me up with my domain name, hosting service and spent 2 hours cleaning up my files, which I knew needed to be done. But now he is charging what I think are unfair and totally outragious charges. I didn't sign anything, can I pay what I feel is reasonable? I have a really clean credit record and do want scums like him to ruin that.

H

hexeliebe

You never stated how much he is charging, how long it took to clean-up your files or anything else about the situation, including hosting charges...

come back with more information

J

jody123

He is charging $85 for 2 years for the domain name, (I have found since, that you can get these as cheap as $8.00 a year),
the hosting is $34.00 a month, I had to sign up for 3 months, for a total of $102, but I am using his coupon to get this for half price for $51. Web site development - 2.5 hours @ $65 per hour, but he did not maintain the web site as I pointed out to him, 3 of my pictures were never linked. So I feel he did not maintain his end of the bargain. The domain name charge and the $65 per hour is what really upsets me. Total bill $298.50

H

hexeliebe

you're not going to like this but $65 an hour is cheap.

I have done development for VISA, Sun Microsystems, RealNetworks and many others here and in Europe and my cheapest price is $120 an hour plus expenses which include travel, lodging and food.

If three pictures are not linked (and by this I believe you mean they don't show up on the page) then I would contact him and let him know you will pay the bill as soon as the website is functional.

Then, when your three months is up you can retrieve your pages and host them anyplace you want. I know you can get hosting for less than $10 a month (if you pay for the whole year in advance) but this is only for plain HTML coding (and maybe javascript, dhtml and other client-side scripting languages).

HOWEVER, before you move your domain and pages, research the contract of every hosting service you find and ask questions. And one last suggestion. LEARN HTML. For this price you're not going to get any support.

S

Selina Sedai

As a web developer/web host, I can tell you that $65 an hour is dirt cheap. You can find other hosts that do host for reasonable prices, have tiered pricing scales (low bandwidth sites being cheaper than high bandwidth) and provide some support. Do a Google search, though, and you'll find several good hosts.

Also, do try to learn HTML. It's the simplest language to learn, and the most common.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">