• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confession of Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Odysseus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I hired a contractor (a relative) to fix up my house, in order to prepare it for sale, in late summer of 2009. Part of that agreement was that he would defer payment until the sale of the house. He completed some initial work on the house but then chose not to complete the work, once our agent provided an updated list. This put me in a bind, since I'm currently working 1500 miles away and could not get another contractor in there so quickly.

The house is now under a purchase contract and now this relative has sent me a Confession of Judgment and Promissory Note, which he said his lawyer advised him that we should sign so that he could get paid at the time of settlement on the house.

Because he is practically demanding for me to sign this and get it back to him or else he puts a lien on our house, I can't wait for a call back from an attorney. Please, any help would be great. I apologize if this may have been discussed before, but I did my due diligence using the search tool and did not find anything that was close to my situation.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I hired a contractor (a relative) to fix up my house, in order to prepare it for sale, in late summer of 2009. Part of that agreement was that he would defer payment until the sale of the house. He completed some initial work on the house but then chose not to complete the work, once our agent provided an updated list. This put me in a bind, since I'm currently working 1500 miles away and could not get another contractor in there so quickly.

The house is now under a purchase contract and now this relative has sent me a Confession of Judgment and Promissory Note, which he said his lawyer advised him that we should sign so that he could get paid at the time of settlement on the house.

Because he is practically demanding for me to sign this and get it back to him or else he puts a lien on our house, I can't wait for a call back from an attorney. Please, any help would be great. I apologize if this may have been discussed before, but I did my due diligence using the search tool and did not find anything that was close to my situation.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: is he a licensed contractor?

Odysseus

Yes, he's licensed.

The no later than date for the Promissory Note is the day after our proposed closing date. If the house goes back on the market, I'm afraid that if the purchase contract falls through, that he'll be able to garnish my wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">